2008/05/12

Description of Today's bike accident.

Posting it here, to save me telling everyone individually.
time: 2008.05.12 08.35

Place: Porkkalankatu, Helsinki, Finland.

Accident description:
I am in the lane for/towards töölö, which was being held with a red light. The lane for/towards Kamppi had a green light. So I checked my mirros and saw a gap in the traffic. I then indicated and pulled into that lane. The car at the end of the gap was a Black honda crv. As i pull into the lane i hear a horn and then there is the bonnet then the side of a black car. there is some minor contact between the two vehicles.
I continue forward to safer place to exchange details. The driver of the car is very polite, and when asked speaks english with me.
As I do not know the details of Finnish traffic law in these situations (and UK driving training says to never admint liability in an accident), he calls the police.
During the wait, I phone my insurance company, as there is some sort of Bike resuce in the policy. However, when I get through, the woman at the other end does not speak English. As i am not understanding the questions she is asking, i ask the car driver to talk with her. This apparently means that a case is now open.
Police arrive, and advise me that because i was changing lanes, under Finnish law I am in the wrong.
Breathalyzer tests taken from both of us.
I take photo's of damage to both vehicles:
couple of scratches to the side of his car

and the clutch cover on my bike smashed open


The Police give me a warning, but tell me that no further action/prosecution will be taken.
The Police officer then calls for tow truck (as i was not sure if/how the insurance tow would work). Both officers then help me to push the bike to a safer spot off the road.
I have to say that the professionalism displayed by both of the officers was very high, by providing advice and help.

I then got to practice my Finnish as the Tow/rescue truck driver also did not speak English.
Arriving to the office one of my collegues came and helped to ensure that all the paper work for the rescue is filled in correctly.

Now i get to find out how good the Finnish Insurance system is.

No comments: